Thursday, November 28, 2013

The trek to Naksan Park / Seoul Fortress 낙산공원

On my third day in Seoul, I decided to take it slow. No booked trips. No agendas. I wanted to explore Hyehwa and experience a typical, lazy day in the city.

I decided to take a trip to Naksan Park. Shanee helped me which direction to walk towards coming from the guesthouse.

I was interested to see the park because the walking trail runs along the walls of the Seoul Fortress. Seoul Fortress ( 한양도성 ) is pretty long, running 18.2km long. It was built in 1397 as protection from invaders and show the boundaries of the city (source: Wikipedia).


Baskin Robbins was on the way. I wanted to have ice cream but it was at 9AM and hella cold!!!


I didn't have a map or any clear directions on how to get there. I just know that I was heading to that mountain and that I needed to climb it to get to the park.



There's a Performing arts theatre / school that I happen to pass by.
I was just following a group of students, hoping that I will find the "Naksan Park" sign.








There was a cute cafe along the way that had the map of Naksan Park on the window of their shop.



I tried to decipher the trail. So yes, this became my map.




I swear, I wasn't kidding about the steep road climbs.



Finally!!! I had to pause to catch my breath! I was gasping for air when I got to the top. I do yoga but this was cross-fit extreme cardio level!



And so it begins!




It was actually a long way up. But the view was worth the climb!

Seoul Fortress wall










A little further down, there's an area with all these exercise equipments. (Yes, an exercise area…on top of the hill…after the steep climb).



Mostly old people doing their morning exercise. When I went to the Banpo bridge (반포대교) by the Han River for the light and fountain show, I also saw that they had these steel exercise machines at the Banpo park. It's really nice to see how the government promotes health and wellness, especially to the older crowd to keep them active.



Kaya pa ni lolo



Definitely not kidding about the climb. But it was all worth it! Fortress wall on the left of the walking trail.

Followed this old guy walking down. Didn't exactly know if this was the exit down.



Coffee break after my morning exercise!!

Another thing I love about Seoul are the coffee shops! They have A LOT! And I don't mean just the usual Starbucks & Coffee Bean coffee players. They have unique coffee shops in almost every corner. Fresh, quality coffee, and not the run-down kind. In this freezing weather, a warm cup of coffee can make my day!







No comments:

Post a Comment