Wednesday, November 27, 2013

How Kimchi won back my heart…and my tastebuds

I wasn't a fan of kimchi.

I shove it under my "Acquired taste" category, along with wasabi and caviar. You will only begin to like it if you keep eating it, or if you have grown accustomed to it.

The reason why I don't like the taste is because I first tried it here in the Philippines. How they make kimchi back home is a bit on the sour side. So kimchi didn't make a good first impression on me.

But when I got to Seoul, my first encounter eating kimchi was that first fateful night, when I decided to (unknowingly) devour a huge bowl of really spicy Korean seafood soup! Kimchi then served as a palate cooler for my tastebuds.

So I said, why not give my 'saviour' another chance?

After my trek to Naksan Park, I decided to give kimchi another shot. They say second impressions are better than the first.

I happened to pass by this restaurant on the way to Naksan Park. I took a photo of it in case I got lost and it would be easier for me to just show the photo to a random stranger to help me find it.

I'm still learning Hangul, because of a promise I made to my Korean friends I met during my trip. But I think the first 2 blocks/characters are Shiam Shiam or Siam Siam. YAY for progress!! If someone can read the other blocks, that would be great! Hanggang basic vowels and consonants palang ako!


What attracted me to this restaurant was the picture menu in their drop-down banner display! Didn't have a clue what it was but it looked yummy! Red is always yummy and mouth-watering. So I just assumed it was Kimchi soup.


When I entered the restaurant, the friendly Ajumma greeted me and asked me something in Korean. They didn't have menus and no menu pictures at all inside the restaurant. So I had to drag her outside just to point at the banner that I wanted that set menu (kinaladkad ko lang naman si ate palabas kasi mahirap na mag-explain).




And OH MY GOD, it was TDF!!! It was… Amore!

The kimchi soup was served in a special pot that let's the soup boil for several minutes. It was a perfect compliment to the rice with seaweed.

Parang I felt wrapped in that warm, cuddly goodness especially during the really cold weather.



I couldn't finish my meal, so I went to the counter to pay. The Ajumma (who I dragged out of the resto), asked me something in Korean and kept pointing at my table. I assumed she was asking me if I liked it. OR, maybe it was rude to not finish my food? I didn't really know. I got panicky at some point. I just nodded, rubbed my tummy and gave her a thumbs up and the biggest grin and said "really good!"

She then smiled with relief. So maybe my first assumption was correct (wala nang right or wrong answers dito. Kung ano nalang ang in-assume yun na ang tama HAHA!).

Oh it was a perfect meal! A perfect discovery! And a perfect love-affair ending, with Kimchi!

Now my problem…finding really good kimchi soup in the metro!

2 comments:

  1. The resto is /sam sam ttuk be gi/ ;) and now i'm also craving for kimchi soup! Nic, as long as we have a supply of "good kimchi", I can teach you how to make a simple kimchi stew with tuna! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, close enough haha after Im done with my consonants and vowels, the extra challenge are the sentence construction and meaning LOL! Yes! I was gonna ask you where to get kimchi supply if we cant do home-made.

      Delete