Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Nami Island… and how to get there.

There is something quite fascinating about Nami Island in the Autumn season.



I mentioned in my earlier post that Yong, the owner of Korea Central Backpackers, has a tour business.   He does regular tours to Nami Island. He pools guests from different guesthouses for the tour. So best to inquire / reserve a slot ahead of time since it quickly gets full.

There are several ways to get to Nami Island (which you can google). But for me, booking a tour with Yong is the most convenient. No buses. No subway rides. A car will fetch you, take you to the tour destinations, and bring you back at the hotel.

The tour is a whole day packaged tour for Nami Island and Petite France.

Yong dropped by KCB to pick me up at around 7:40AM. Then we proceeded to the other guesthouse to pick up the other guests. It was a surprise that we were all Pinoys on that tour.

On our way to Nami Island! It takes about 1 hour to Nami port (Gapyeong) from Hyehwa.


We've arrived! Best that you arrive early for parking space. When I went back to this place a little past lunch time from the island, the entire parking lot was packed with buses and cars, and the line to get in the parking area was already long.


Even though it says Immigration, you don't need your passport. But this was cute! Felt like you're off to some foreign island for some adventure! Looking legit though, for an island who has claimed their independence and named the 'country' Naminara Republic.

Purchase your visa, errr.. entrance / ferry roundtrip ticket for krW 8,000.


But if you're feeling a little adventurous, you can Zipline your way to Nami Island. Yes! Zipline!!!


It'll cost you krW38,000 (about $38). This includes the 1-way, 1 minute (940 meters long) zipline trip to Nami Island, and the ferry ride back to the port.

I would have wanted to do this. But since I was with a 'tour group', and it was freezing cold, I opted not to.

But I highly suggest doing this! If I get a chance to come back to Nami Island, I would definitely do this!

This was at 9AM and the port was jam-packed with tourists!



It wasn't a clear day, since it rained when we left Seoul


Official flag of Naminara Republic

Some lucky bastard zip lining.



Touchdown Nami!!!


Nami Island is a tourist destination to different people for different reasons -- amusement park, tomb of General Nami, and mostly for Winter Sonata, etc. But I was interested to go because of how beautiful this island is during Autumn time. So I was here for nature and to see the tomb of General Nami.

You won't be seeing me gushing over any Winter Sonata references since I have not seen the teleserye (television series in Filipino). Feeling ko ako lang ata ang pumunta dito na walang kaalam-alam sa Winter Sonata. This has become a tourist attraction mainly because of Winter Sonata.

So folks, this was my tour of Namiseom, along with all the wild things roaming about on the island!



Tour guide Yong
Train tracks as one of the options for you to go around the island




Everyone is welcome!

Yong treated me to this local delicacy of red bean bun. Think siopao bun texture, but instead of asado or bola-bola, it's red bean.  Found it quite odd at first. But that first bite changed it all. Surprisingly yummy!





Pine Tree Lane




Winter Sonata. I think I need to watch it to appreciate this memorial.




Flying fish!



A squirrel!!! I swear I jumped in excitement seeing these critters!


lovely gingko trees


Along Gingko Tree Lane






Cherry Tree lane





stuck in an island of love. So many sappy couples. This photo is for the special other back home =)






Sky Bike tracks above. I only realized this, post-trip.


Dog walking


Sitting on a random log admiring the river view.


love the 2-person bicycles





Feeding time!

These kids kept taunting the ostriches
And this is the death stare I got!







I was a bit frightened for the kids. I know that ostriches can be dangerous. So I'm wondering why they put up the fences so low. I swear, I was just waiting for one of the ostriches to attack those kids for being too rowdy and for throwing food (bait) at them, like an accident waiting to happen.


When the kids left, these ostriches went back to their peaceful happy selves and going about their usual ostrich business.

Feel the love! F na F ang pagkukuha ng lice sa katawan





I officially now love Autumn!!







The Tomb of General Nami


No one seemed to be visiting. I swear, I was the only one on this part of the island (except for that one guy in the photo). All the tourists were in the Lover's Village, the Gingko Lane, the Pine tree lane. Like any cemetery, it was quite, peaceful, and solemn.


I went around the tomb and paid my respect.



After going around the entire island, I decided it was time to head back for lunch.


make a wish

Personally, 2 hours circling (read: walking) the island was more than enough. I'm a person who easily gets bored so yes at some point, I got bored from all the nature walk. I'm not sure about the Winter Sonata fans, maybe they had a better time at the island. But if you are the type to really take it all in, then by all means. There are actually a lot of things to do on the island. There are coffee shops and restaurants. They also hold arts and crafts workshop that you can sign up for. There are bike rentals, namycar, train, and electric car as options to get around the island. There's also the Sky Bike where you get to go around the island from a higher vantage point. I only found out about it after the trip.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if the special other was around, so we can get all lovey-dovey just like the other love-struck couples. But then again, I'm not the PDA type.

Nami Island is also best enjoyed with company. Best to tag your friends along and spend the entire day on the island.

However, being alone and all, I did enjoy the nature-aspect--- the colorful trees, the wild animals roaming around, and the quirky and unique art pieces and structures on the island.


After the short trip back to the Gapyeong port, Yong reserved Dakgalbi lunch for the group.


Never tried the authentic one (because, yes, you can only get authentic Korean meals in Korea, including kimchi) so I was excited about lunch!

The Pinoys in my tour group. There were only 10 of us during this tour date.



I was glad Yong did the cooking. I saw the proper way to prepare Dakgalbi. The spiciness was above-average spicy, but not too much. It was perfect! The other table (with my other fellow Pinoys) didn't like anything spicy so I was glad to not be sitting on their table.

Chef Yong

After lunch, we were off to Petite France!

No comments:

Post a Comment