Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Musings at Changdeokgung Palace

The palaces in Korea are the most beautiful, majestic and grand that I've seen.

From Korea Central Backpackers, it is a 20-30 minute walk (again, depending on how slow you walk) to Changdeokgung palace.

Since it was a cold, windy, and sunny day, I decided to walk and do some sightseeing. But if tamad ka at hindi mo favorite hobby ang paglalakad, there are other ways to get to the palace from KCB (i.e. taxi, bike rental).



But personally, I prefer (and love) walking around in a foreign country since I can take my time, smell the air, be one with the locals, and most likely discover some hidden gem tucked away in some random alley that you would not normally find when riding a car.

Interesting restaurant cafe

You randomly see a Samurai master
When you just stop to admire all things bright and beautiful, and you find a whole new appreciation to have experienced the Autumn season.

Accidentally finding a quiet place

Experience eating that yummy artisan bread you bought along the way while sitting on a park bench.

Seoul, despite the fact that it is a huge city, is actually a pleasantly walkable city.

I screen captured the walking directions from Anya's Virtual Tour she made for me.






While walking, you will first see the Changgyeonggung palace. I only took a peak inside. But if you wish to explore this palace, you can also enter through Changdeokgung Palace (since there is a back entrance between the two palaces).

The transition between the modern world to the traditional past.

Breathtaking scenery. The depth of these gates leading to the main hall was just splendid!


Intricate details of the palace gates

Once I got to Changdeokgung Palace, it was simply breathtaking! The magnitude, the vastness, the beauty and the splendor. It was like going back in time. Oh how it must have felt like to be royalty and live in a palace like this!

I think I would need a horse going around this palace.

Main entrance. Flocking with tourists and students


The ticket booth is located on the left side of the gate. Ticket price for General Admission is at krW 3,000. But if you wish to do a Secret Garden tour, it'll cost an additional krW 5,000. There are also scheduled guided tours for English, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean.

These photos will prove how majestic, grand and beautiful the place is!

Changdeokgung palace as a UNESCO Heritage Site

I love the scenery, with the bridge and the colourful trees lining up to the gate.




The gate to the main palace


The main palace for the King.

Stones line leading to the main hall. These are the markers for the royal advisers.

The throne

My jaw dropped seeing the height of the ceiling



Coffee / Restaurant within the palace grounds should you decide to take a break and have lunch.



I didn't tour the Secret Garden, but I saw this sign.


Other royal quarters and halls within the palace grounds.








The palace grounds is so massive that I didn't know where to look first. I think the total area of the palace is about 45 hectares!

Changdeokgung palace is connected to other areas. You can also access the Changgyeonggung palace, with a separate entrance fee.
Other royal quarters within the palace grounds






These stone chimneys were used to warm the rooms / chambers during winter time



Me in front of the main king's hall

karera ng mga lolas


Government offices / halls

The stream that flows within the palace grounds

Love the design! I forgot the name of this bird but they are a common site at the palace


The Chinese Juniper

This Chinese Juniper at Changdeokgung palace is believed to be 750 years old

I visited the palace at around 9:30AM so it was a cool and breezy walkabout. There weren't a lot of people compared to when I visited Geongbokgung, about the same time (see my later post on Geongbokgung palace).

To learn more about Changdeokgung palace, the schedule, and guided tours, click on this link: http://eng.cdg.go.kr/main/main.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment